Top-Quality Cranial Helmet Patient Care Facility in Miami, FL
Infants sometimes have flattened areas on one side or the back of their heads, called deformational plagiocephaly or brachycephaly which can be caused by the baby’s position inside the mother’s womb, extensive time spent on the baby’s back (in a crib, swing, car seat carrier) or torticollis, a condition in which there is a tight neck muscle and the baby’s head motion is limited.
Our cranial remodeling program is for children who are 3- 18 months old and we treat the following cranial shapes:
- Plagiocephaly: A flattening on one side of the head
- Brachycephaly: A flattening across the back of the head
- Asymmetrical brachycephaly: A combination of plagiocephaly and brachycephaly
- Scaphocephaly: A long, narrow head shape
Basics of Cranial Remolding Treatment
At Ortho Pro Associates, we use the STARband TM cranial remolding orthosis to provide effective management and treatment of a wide variety of head shape abnormalities. Cranial remolding treatment is only effective if there is adequate control over the areas of bossing (bulging) and adequate room for growth in the flattened areas. That being said, it is paramount that the holding areas of the helmet match the exact anatomy of your child to prevent skin complications. Treatment with a STARband TM begins with an initial 3 dimensional scan of your baby’s head with the STARscanner TM. The scan takes less than 2 seconds and enables us to create a custom cranial remolding helmet that is accurate to 0.5mm, ensuring that your child gets the best possible clinical outcome.
The Ortho Pro Difference
At Ortho Pro Associates, we provide the highest quality care in a family friendly environment. We are here to answer your questions and provide you with the information you need to make the best decision regarding cranial remolding treatment. Throughout treatment, we clinically monitor changes in your baby’s head shape to track the improvement. Some babies can be repositioned and do not need a cranial remolding helmet. With a prescription from your baby’s doctor, we provide a clinical consultations for cranial remolding free of charge.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for your baby, please call one of our offices at (305)598-9688 (Kendall).
- Practitioners and staff regularly attend continuing education programs
- Licensed by the State of Florida
- All Practitioners received a higher level of education from an ABC accredited university
- Our facilities have received ABC accreditation
- We leverage the latest orthotic and prosthetic techology